Does the City have an alarm policy?

The City of Crystal has no permit requirements, however, alarm subscribers are assessed a fee for false alarms after 2 responses in a year.  A false alarm is defined by the responding officer as one in which an alarm was activated and the cause of the activation was not criminal activity.  Below is the most up to date fee schedule:

3-5 false alarms per year:  $80.00
6-10 false alarms per year:  $120.00
11-15 false alarms per year:  $160.00
16 or more false alarms:  $200.00

Is there a curfew for juveniles in Crystal?

Yes.  Juveniles may not be present in any public place or business open to the public according to the following schedule:

Juveniles 15-17 must be out of public areas by 11 p.m. on weeknights and by midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.  12-14 year olds must be out of public areas by 10 p.m. on weeknights and 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.  Children under 12 must be out of public areas by 9 p.m. on weeknights and 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

Can I park on the street overnight?

The City of Crystal has a parking ordinance of NO PARKING on the City streets between the hours of 2 a.m. and 5 a.m.  Also, there is no parking on City streets when snowfall reaches 1-1/2 inches or more.

What are the regulations about motorized scooters?

Per Minnesota State Statute 169.225, people age 12 and older may operate a motorized foot scooter on the street and are subject to all traffic laws imposed on drivers of motor vehicles.  In addition, all drivers under 18 must wear a helmet and no passengers are allowed.

If I am in a car accident, what do I do?

You need to call 9-1-1 if there are any injuries or if public property is damaged in the accident.  You are required to file a report with the State if the total damage between both vehicles exceeds $1000.  The State form is available in the Police Department lobby or online.

Can I get my fingerprints taken?

Yes, if you are a Crystal resident.  Call 763-531-1014 to set up an appointment.

How do I file a complaint or request that an officer be officially complimented?

Fill out this form and return it to the Chief of Police at the address on the form or via email.

How do I get my property if it is being stored at the P.D.?

Property and evidence release times are scheduled BY APPOINTMENT ONLY, Monday through Friday, between 8:00am and 2:30pm. To set up an appointment, contact the property/evidence office at (763) 531-1017.

In order to claim personal property, you must present a valid picture ID or drivers license.

Notification that we have your property is provided by mail. A phone call is attempted if we have a current phone number.

Property that is ready for release will be held for thirty (30) days after the owner is notified. If the property is not claimed within thirty days, it will be considered abandoned and scheduled for disposal.

All saleable abandoned property will be sold by the police department. Items are sold on the on-line auction site For more information on where you may purchase abandoned police property, contact the evidence unit at (763) 531-1017.

NOTE: If the Crystal Police Property Room is holding a firearm you own, and you would like it returned, you must write a letter to the Chief of Police requesting the gun be returned.  The only person who can authorize a firearm return is the Chief of Police.  

What can I do about my neighbor's barking dog?

Call 911 immediately and report the barking dog.  You may also contact Animal Control Officer Tom Mahan at 763/531-5161.