Below you will find information regarding snow plowing in the City of Crystal.
1. The local city streets are divided into 6 plow routes, with each route being further divided into 3 sections. Crews start at a different section each time, ensuring that the same neighborhood is not plowed first or last all of the time.
2. It takes roughly 8 hours to complete the entire city (based on 2-4inches of snowfall)…if it’s snowing all day or for several days, the plows have to make several passes, which means it will take longer to complete the city.
3. Plow operators will NOT lift the plow to avoid the end of a resident’s driveway (a pileup of snow will occur at the end of each driveway).
4. The City plows curb to curb or, later in the year, snow bank to snow bank as the curb is no longer visible (EXCEPTION: will not plow newly-reconstructed streets curb to curb until a final asphalt layer has been applied so the curb doesn't get damaged – they’ll get as close as possible).
5. City only salts/sands the intersections and hills.
6. It's illegal for residents to push snow into or across the street.
7. Crystal uses 5 single axle dump trucks, 1 road grader, 2 1-ton trucks for alleys and cul-de-sacs, and 2 front end loaders for loading snow for hauling.
8. Sidewalks: City only plows county road sidewalks and the completed reconstructed streets where the sidewalk is along the curb (not when there is boulevard between the sidewalk and curb). Sidewalks are completed after all streets are plowed, which could be up to 24 hours after a snowfall.
9. Snow emergencies: A press release is put on the City’s Facebook page and website and is sent to the following media: WCCO Radio and TV (4), KMSP (Fox 9), KARE (11), KSTP (5), Cable 12 (NWCTV), and Cable 16 (City billboard).
Plowed by MnDOT:
Plowed by Hennepin County:
* Bass Lake Road (56th Ave N)
* Douglas Drive
* Bottineau Blvd (Hwy 81)
* Medicine Lake Road (27th Ave N)
* Rockford Road (42ndAve N)
* West Broadway
* Winnetka Ave N
On-street parking is prohibited between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. After a snowfall of at least 1½ inches in the city, parking is prohibited on public streets and alleys until the street or alley has been plowed and the snow removed to the curb line. Parking violations should be reported to the police by calling 911.
If a vehicle is towed:
* The registered owner of the vehicle must provide a valid driver's license and car insurance to the management at North Suburban Towing
* Tow fees are paid to the lot and must be by cash or credit card only
* Parking fines are paid to Hennepin County District Court
* North Suburban Towing, 5170 West Broadway, (763) 535-4015
* Tow fee is $159; storage fee is $30 per day plus tax (subject to increase without notice)
* Tow lot hours of operation:
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday, 9 a.m. - Noon
Sunday, 10 a.m. - Noon